Saturday, February 7, 2009

Good people

One thing I've learned in life, from the age of three onward, is that nothing, not distance, not even death, can separate people from each other.

This is a lesson that came with many tears. At the age of three, I lost my grandmother (and yes, there are still memories and tears associated with that, though it was nearly 17 years ago). At the age of eight, I moved away, leaving behind a best friend. At the age of ten, I moved again, leaving behind another best friend. I graduated high school and moved again, leaving my family (which is hard, even if you enjoy your school and can't imagine living anywhere other than the city you're currently in). In the past year, I've seen friends graduate and move, two to Texas, one to Togo. I've seen friends study abroad in far away places and this year, many more of them will graduate. Soon, it will be my turn and I will leave, hopefully for a Third World nation in need of service.

At the same time, all of this made me appreciate people more. I realized that while on earth, nothing is secure. Not time, not money, not people, not even the fact that your heart is still beating. We've seen that with our economy in the past few years, with the precarious situation our country lies in. We see that with college kids, who go in knowing exactly what they want to do, only to have their worlds turned upside down as they realize it isn't what they thought it would be. We see that with friends and family who move away or pass away. But when it comes down to it, all we have is each other, regardless of how long or short that may be.

A dear friend of mine once said to me that God's greatest gift to us, after His Son, was people. I've come to believe that. I also believe that it isn't good for man to be alone. So I thank Him for people. All of them, good or bad. They all have something to teach me. And I will always love them for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment