Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Geez, Kate, Stop Being So Political!"

People tell me this when they feel I take my feminism too far. People often tell me I do not value my femininity(which I do), that I don't think highly of men(have you heard me talk about the men in my life?), and that I'm too independent (thank God, I am). Apparently, everything I do is some kind of political statement, whether it's the music I play or what I have in mind for my fantasy wedding.

Well, first of all, everything's political. Second, here's when I'll stop being "so political."

I'll stop being so political when people stop telling me to tart up or put out, in order to find a loving partner.

I'll stop being so political when people stop questioning my sexuality if I've been single for a long time.

I'll stop being so political when people stop treating women like they're dirty for breastfeeding.

I'll stop being so political when people stop using our bodies to sell products.

I'll stop being so political when people stop acting like rape is the fault of the victim instead of the criminal.

I'll stop being so political when employers start paying me a wage equal to my male coworkers and extend the same opportunities for promotion.

I'll stop being so political when people stop judging me for my sexual history or lack thereof.

I'll stop being so political when people stop giving a damn about how I dress and start giving a damn about how I act.

I'll stop being so political when people stop persecuting men for choosing things considered "feminine."

I'll stop being so political when people stop selling women, children and men into slavery.

I'll stop being so political when people stop discouraging me from the things I love because, "You're a girl and it's not safe."

I'll stop being so political when people stop using hair color and cup size as a judge for intelligence.

I'll stop being so political when people stop telling me I need artificial means to be beautiful.

I'll stop being so political when age stops making women invisible.

I'll stop being so political when people stop mutilating our bodies and using threats of death to keep us in line with gender norms.

I'll stop being so political when people stop killing, aborting, or abandoning their daughters, just because they are girls.

Mainly, I'll stop being so political when people start to recognize that women too are created in the image of God and treat us with dignity, equality and respect in all corners of the world.

Until that day, I'll continue with my fight. If you don't like it, too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment