Friday, January 9, 2009

A few thoughts

I came to love SNL after this year. With classic lines such as, "Dope, you just got schooled, Biden-style!"and, "I propose that my opponent and I suspend our campaigns and have a three-day pie eating contest!" I was rolling off my twin bed laughing to the point I thought my lungs would give out. The election in general was an exciting time and, like V, the next day was a fifth of November that I shall never forget.

However, one of those episodes made me think. This was the episode mocking Hilary Clinton and Sarah Palin. The sad thing was, it wasn't as much the caricature as it was supposed to be. While it was very funny, it made me think about certain unacceptable issues with sexism, the media, and female politicians.

Now, I'm not a fan of either Palin or Clinton. I find them both out of touch with the issues facing most American women. Palin does not seem to understand the plight many city women or single mothers are facing in these times (but given her area, I can understand that) and Clinton just seems hell-bent on getting the Presidency and has made fun of stay-at-home mothers in the past. However, I think the media has certainly given them unfair treatment that you would never see them give a male politician.

First, there was the whole affair with Bristol Palin's pregnancy. When people found out that Bristol, at 17, was pregnant with her boyfriend's baby, they used it to attack Palin mercilessly. While I don't agree with her views on abstinence only education, I think it was extremely rude and uncouth to use her daughter, who didn't ask to be in the spotlight, as an example or to spread rumors that Sarah Palin's youngest child was, in fact, her daughter's baby. Or pointing out how "hot" she was and having people photoshopping her into bikini pictures. What does that have to do with politics? I'm not a Palin fan either, but why couldn't we focus on her naivete, lack of experience, extreme conservatism, and her investigation for political corruption instead? I think I heard more about her daughter's pregnancy, her wardrobe (especially her penchant for $150,000 suits), and her smoking hot body than is necessary to hear about, hmm, I don't know, a POLITICAL CAMPAIGN?

Second, there was the issue with Hilary running for the primaries. Again, in a time where we need a change more than ever, the last thing I wanted to see was either of the Clintons back in the White House. As for Hilary, it seemed that she cared less about the people and more about getting into power. Now, I'm sure she's probably a nice lady when you get her alone, but in the public eye, that's what she looks like. However, I was sick of hearing about what a "bitch" she was and seeing bumper stickers saying, "She couldn't satisfy her husband, she won't satisfy America." OK, what Bill Clinton did was wrong, cheating on your spouse is always wrong, but we don't know how that affected their marriage. We don't know what went on behind closed doors, apart from the obvious. And again, what does the Clinton's love life or supposed lack thereof have to do with, hmmm, I don't know, what's the word? Oh yeah, POLITICS!

The thing that aggravates me the most is that you'd never see this about a male politician. Sure, you read about their families, their scandals, etc. But you don't hear about their clothes, their inability to hold back straying spouses, or how sexy they are (seriously, when's the last time we saw one of our male politicians photoshopped for a Speedo shot?). While we certainly don't have to like or agree with a lot of what they say, we also should have the courtesy and respect to allow their private lives to remain private and instead, focus on the issues at hand and what we believe America needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment